Thursday, October 22, 2015

Fahrenheit 451

“Mr. Montag you are looking at a coward … yelling with me, by then. Now, it’s too late.”


I felt Faber was a pity person when I reached this part in Fahrenheit 451. Faber was a devotee of the ideas contained in books.  He was quivered on the brink of rebellion. “I’m one of the innocents who could have spoken up and out when no one would listen to the ‘guilty,’ but I did not speak and thus became guilty myself. And when finally they set the structure to burn books, using the fireman, I grunted a few times and subsided. ” In this part, Faber’s words made me feel that Ferber blamed the fault on himself.  He had spent years regretting that he did not defend books when he saw the moves to ban them. He might think that if he had spoken out, book burning might have not been existed. Actually, Faber had nothing to do with the book burning. Even if Faber had spoken put, the government still would made this happen. I believed that there did have some people spoken out at that time, but it didn’t help the condition. Rebellious people’s power could not compare with the government’s power. I can see that he was desperate for books, and he loved reading. However, Reality is always cruel.

3 comments:

  1. Good job Anita! You made some pretty interesting points about how "rebellious people's power could not compare with the government's power" and how "reality is always cruel." I couldn't have put it better in words myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I personally feel the same thing as you that Faber doesn't need to take all the responsibility for not protecting the book. I have the same opinion on the power of people is to weak compare to the power of government. I like your last sentence, it concluded your paragraph very well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your post, especially the last sentence “reality is always cruel”. It’s so true that no matter how much you want to do something, sometimes reality really can’t be change; especially when you don’t have that much of power, just like Faber. Also, your post made me think of something that I haven’t think of. Before I read your post, I actually do feel bad for Faber because he is blaming himself for not defending for books when books were going to be banned. However, after reading your post, I agree with you that even though he really did try to defend the books, the endings will not be changed. Well done!

    ReplyDelete